Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Porting savane from PHP to Perl on version

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Porting savane from PHP to Perl on version 3.1-cleanup
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:39:16 +0300

Hello Troye,

This is terrific stuff. Great to see more people interested in GNU Savannah.

-1-
As Karl wrote in the previous email, the GNU Savannah code based situation can
be a bit confusing (I was sure confused at first, perhaps still am).
The active website behind "http://savannah.gnu.org"; is found in this repository (under
the "administration" project):
   git://git.sv.gnu.org/administration/savane.git
*not* in the repositories called "savane" or "savane-cleanup" or similar -
those are similar projects (forks?) that are not directly related to the active production website
(yet, at least).

More information can be found in past discussions in the
Savannah-Hackers-Public mailing list:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2013-10/msg00026.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2014-08/msg00008.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2014-08/msg00009.html

If your interest is in writing code to be merged and used as quickly as
possible, then the starting point should be the above git repository.

-2-
I've also tried to make Savannah server run locally, though I focused on using
the existing PHP code with minimal changes to the Perl side.
More technical details here:
  http://files.housegordon.org/gnu-sv/HACKING.html

And I'll be happy to work together on that.

-3-
To make it easy to incorporate your additions, I would suggest to send your code changes
as patches against the existing code (e.g. with "git format-patch") - this will
make it easier for all other hackers on the mailing list to view and learn from your
changes (and will also make emails much smaller).

Thanks!
 - Assaf