Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Migration of GNU Savannah Web-pages from C

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Migration of GNU Savannah Web-pages from CVS to GIT
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 22:10:03 GMT

    http://web.git.sv.gnu.org/

Clicking on "cgit" or "gitweb there takes several minutes for me, and I
don't like to think of what is happening on the server.  I'm not sure
that the list of all repositories is useful enough to impose that load.
If you want to provide it, I wonder about generating a static page
hourly or something, with links to the git web repositories.

"direct browsing" is a lot faster, but just browsing the raw files
doesn't seem that interesting.

    git clone <user>@web.git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/web/<PROJECT>.git

texinfo/texinfo.html has this comment near the top:
<!-- fofofof fdsfadsafdsaf -->

Did your scripts insert that as part of the test?  As far as I know it
is not in the original texinfo.html CVS.

    If you have permission to push to a
    Web-CVS repository, you should be able to push to the corresponding git

I attempted to push a trivial change to the git texinfo.html and got:
..
error: Unable to append to ./logs/refs/heads/master: Permission denied
To address@hidden:/srv/git/web/texinfo.git
 ! [remote rejected] master -> master (failed to write)
error: failed to push some refs to 'address@hidden:/srv/git/web/texinfo.git'

(Maybe it is because my "karl" account is unusual, in that it has shell
access.)

    For easier troubleshooting, update events are logged are reported on:
         http://nongnu.housegordon.org/gsv-updates/

Nothing there.