Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [Savannah-cvs] [108] Savannah Services: ad

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [Savannah-cvs] [108] Savannah Services: added 'dl.sv.gnu.org' information
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 23:49:58 GMT

    -## DL - download
    +## DL - downloads

downloads.sv.gnu.org does not exist.  That's why I used "download".
The more repetition of the actual server names, the better, seems to me.

    +  **NOTE:** The official `ftp.gnu.org` server is not managed by GNU
Savannah
    +  administrators. This is just a mirror.

It's not a mirror in the usual sense.  It is a multiplexor address.  As
far as I know the actual content of ftp.gnu.org is not mirrored to
savannah anywhere.  (Just fencepost.)

    +- Other Server-Aliases (TODO: what are these used for?)

They are the names for the Apache configuration to make the multiplexors
work.  I don't think there's a reason for people to use them directly.

As you know, see [[Mirmon]] where I wrote down all kinds of details of
how the multiplexors work.

    +- GNU Arch repositories:

Might mention that GNU Arch is obsolete and (so far as we know) unused.

Thanks,