Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] VCS for web pages [was: [task #14586] svn

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] VCS for web pages [was: [task #14586] svn import for gnustep-nonfsf]
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 17:54:10 -0600

Karl Berry wrote:
>     With current issues related to vcs load, I think CVS may have
>     substantial advantages over Git (not sure for Subversion).
>
> For the record, Subversion has the same advantages as (and many fewer
> disadvantages than) CVS. It is no problem to check out a single
> subdirectory; you just do it. As in CVS.

Agreed.  Basically for checkout for web pages I think all of the
version control systems are very similar in terms of system load.

I don't think any web page histories are going to be large enough to
make the full download of the entire history to be a problem.
Although if a project published binary images (PDFs?) that rolled to
new versions often then that could add up to a lot of disk space.  (In
my previous career I remember a commercial vendor with 10G of PDF
manuals that were mostly images.  Simply too large to work with.)

> That is not to say we should not, in principle, support git for web
> pages. Many people want it. -k

Personally I am happy with cvs for web pages.  For all of the reasons
already stated by all.  But git for web pages is a feature that users
are often asking for.

Bob