Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git and https URLs not working

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git and https URLs not working
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 13:44:50 -0700

Hi Arnold,

address@hidden wrote:
> Thanks for the note and sorry I didn't reply earlier.

Please.  No apologies needed.  It wasn't very long at all.  And we are
deep into the holiday here!  Nothing is happening very fast right now.  :-)

> Things were indeed working in the morning, and I have switched the
> one https:// repo over to being git://.

I thought that one of the URLs that gave problem was already git://
though.  And if there is a network glitch I think both are going to be
similar.

We are getting continued pressure to supress the unencrypted and
unauthenticated protocols such as git://.  At some point the pressure
will be overwhelming.  I have been resisting because this hurts people
behind oppressive firewalls who then cannot access the free software.

This is a whole longer topic about future directions of infrastructure
but in the comparison of https and ssh then ssh is the better.  In the
difference between anonymous access by https and anonymous access by
git:// then I worry about recommending git:// moving forward.

It may seem like every couple of years something major is happening
with the version control systems.  But, well, that is every couple of
years!  Things are quite stable in between. :-)

> I understand that ssh is best, but there's no reason for me to ask for
> contributor access on all the GNU projects I follow via git!

Definitely agreed!

Perhaps it would be best to publish the https url and also the git url
as as a fallback in the case of temporary problems?

> I kinda guessed that things were temporary, but I figure it's always
> best to report problems, just in case something really is serious.

I always appreciate hearing about any problems that are being seen.
Because otherwise we won't know.  If we don't hear anything then we
assume everything is perfect.  If we get reports then we know what is
happening.  So please keep reporting when you are seeing problems.

> Take care, and Happy Holidays to you and *all* the Savannah hackers.

Merry Christmas! :-)

Bob