Re: action upon re-attach

From: John Davidorff Pell
Subject: Re: action upon re-attach
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:19:28 -0700

Using my mad hacker skills (that's a joke), i've come up with the following commands: screen -S "`screen -ls | grep tached | awk '{print $1}' | head -n1`" -X screen screen -S "`screen -ls | grep tached | awk '{print $1}' | head -n1`" -xRR

This ensures that if I have multiple screens available, the command is sent to the right one (first one, which may not be the right one...) and then I re-attach to that same one. Problem: if the screen is already attached to, then the previously attached screen switches to the newly created window. The newly attached screen, starts up in the previously active window... not the newly created one...

What would it take to implement a "re-attach and open new window" flag? Could someone point me to the right function/file (and maybe a few tips on the archaic code?). I think I'm capable enough to come up with a patch (that won't meet sven's standards) that would work, but last time I started looking through screen's code I got a headache... I'm thinking that I'd allow for -X /and/ -r... but that already means something... perhaps different meaning for -r/-R when used with -X?

JP