Re: screen with 256 color xterm

From: Jeremy Chadwick
Subject: Re: screen with 256 color xterm
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 14:53:26 -0700

Michael,

I built screen with #define COLORS256, and sad to say, screen continues
to filter out appropriate escape codes.

The problem is not with my termcap, screenrc (global or $HOME), or
otherwise, as I can use 256colors2.pl just fine with TERM=xterm
while outside of screen.  When run inside of screen, screen acts as
if there is only 16 colours available to it.

Just for kicks, I tried tinkering a bit with "termcapinfo xterm", just
to see if I could work out a hack/solution.  I wasn't able to.

Can you provide some more insight as to why it might not work?

Note that I am not using a literal xterm, but rather PuTTY via SSH.
Yes, xterm 256 colour support is enabled in PuTTY; again, everything
works absolutely 100% correct while outside of screen, and screen is
indeed built with COLORS256 defined.

If you need 256colors2.pl, you can fetch it from here:

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~scrosby/software/tf256color/src/256colors2.pl

Thanks!

| Making life hard for others since 1977.                             |