Re: screen -X with -x

From: Juergen Weigert
Subject: Re: screen -X with -x
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:39:43 +0100

On Dec 28, 06 01:01:33 +0100, Peder Stray wrote:

> >For your question Robert, I have no idea how you can select ther
> >terminal connected... can't see anything in the manpage, and can't say i
> >found a way doing so while trying to find a solution.
>
> Well, if you know which window in the screen is active in the terminal,
> you could use -p, but that just says to send the command to a spesific
> window within screen, not which terminal connected to the screen.

Perhaps the 'at' command may help here?

  at [identifier][#|*|%] command [args ... ]

        Execute a command at other displays  or  windows  as  if  it  had
        been entered there.  "At" changes the context (the `current window'
        or `current display' setting) of the command. If the first parameter
        describes a  non-unique  context, the command will be executed
        multiple times.  If the first parameter is of the form
        `identifier*'  then identifier is matched against user names.  The
        command is executed once for each display of the selected user(s).
        If the first parameter  is  of  the form `identifier%'  identifier
        is matched  against  displays. Displays are named after the ttys
        they attach. The prefix `/dev/' or `/dev/tty' may be omitted  from
        the identifier.

This talks a lot about a 'display', it actually means terminal...
I'd be interrested to hear, if this arcane screen command still work
properly.

        cheers
        and a happy new year,

                Jw.