xpra -- 'screen for X'

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: xpra -- 'screen for X'
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 00:32:44 -0800

Hi all,
Just wanted to drop a note to this list to let you guys know about a
project I just released, that some might find useful -- essentially,
it lets you detach/reattach running X programs, just like screen lets
you detach/reattach programs in the terminal.

It's a bit rough, but works; more details available in the README:
  http://partiwm.org/browser/README.xpra
or you can just grab the source and get to it:
  http://partiwm.org/static/downloads/parti-all-0.0.3.tar.gz

I wrote it because I use screen all the time for running R on a shared
cluster -- it's *awesome* to be able to fire off a 12 hour data
analysis job and come back later to work with the results
interactively.  But that convenience totally breaks down as soon as I
need to plot something graphically, so... now I run xpra to provide a
$DISPLAY for my screen session.  Two great tastes!

</spam>

-- Nathaniel

--
Electrons find their paths in subtle ways.