Re: Killing backticks when bouncing screen.

From: Trent W. Buck
Subject: Re: Killing backticks when bouncing screen.
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:23:49 +1100

Chris Jones <address@hidden> writes:

> The problem is that, if for some reason or other, I terminate the
> GNU/sreen instance, the orphaned processes still run under the init
> process.

I also have this problem.  One of my backticks is

    backtick 1 0 0 tail -f ~/.emacs.d/irc-activity

which is a file that Emacs appends to when the IRC activity string
changes; so the last line might go from [#e] to [#e,#h].

On some servers (where Emacs isn't even installed!) I might have a dozen
leftover tail processes of this kind, due to screen being automatically
started when I log in, and closed when I close my last window.

Now that you've brought this issue to my attention, I suppose the
solution is simply for Screen to close each backticks' stdout stream
when the session ends.