Re: How to Reorder and Set Starting Window Numbers

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: How to Reorder and Set Starting Window Numbers
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 18:46:05 -0500

* Charles A. Templeton III had this to say on [24 Jan 2009, 07:40:43 -0600]:
> When I load screen it defaults to assigning window numbers starting
> from '0' and counting upwards. How do I customize my setting so that
> screen default to creating the first window start at '1' and count
> upwards (and if possible placing '0' after '9'?) When I have multiple
> windows up the first window ('0') is separated from all the other
> windows ('1', '2', '3'...).

You can specify the number of a window when creating it, e.g.:
        screen -t mail 3 mutt

Other than that, when creating a window, it's assigned the first
window number available starting from 0. I don't believe you can change
that.

> On a related question, is it possible to reorder or switch the window
> numbers? For example take window '1' and change it to window '8' (if
> there is no window '8') or switch windows '1' and '8' (if a window '8'
> already exists).

Try the 'number' command (details in man-page)

Cheers,
Sadrul