Re: GSoC project (screen - embedded scripting support)

From: Rui Guo
Subject: Re: GSoC project (screen - embedded scripting support)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 03:26:49 +0000

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 11:38 -0400, Robert Blackwell wrote:
> Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
> > * Ivo had this to say on [30 Mar 2009, 10:29:13 +0200]:
> >
> >> I want
> >> to ask you, if there is something about scripting, you want to be done
> >> (some
> >> ideas, what the interface between screen and scipting language should
> >> handle), please let me know. Thanks,.
> >>

> I think I have some notes from when I was working on this talk ....
>
> http://github.com/rblackwe/yapc--na-2007--making-an-ajax-gui-for-gnu-screen/tree/master
>
> But I recall getting a windows list to stdout was not easy.
> Also you would not tell if trying something like >screen -X select
> doesnotexit would fail.

I read your talk slides. Interesting, really. The '-X' switch is quite
powerful to command a running screen session, but the biggest problem is
that we can not get enough feedback through this interface. That's why
we need scripting support. I also mentioned this in my previous post in
the devel list. But you have done that more two years ago! :-)

Rui