Re: GSoC project (screen - embedded scripting support)

From: Ivo
Subject: Re: GSoC project (screen - embedded scripting support)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 22:00:41 +0200

So I reconsidered mi ideas. Now, it looks like:

- support for Perl (still, but I'm planning to look to Parrot tomorrow and then make a final decision)

- custom actions, as mentioned in first idea at GNU Project page for GSoC, (switch to region containing mail reader or create it first), execute command at multiple windows, or execute command at (arbitrary) window where is shell opened and nothing runs on it.

- handlers for events like: activity/silence in window, switching to/from window, closing or creating new window..    (from second item in official ideas from GSoC)

- handlers for escapes in caption/hardstatus strings like mentioned in ideas (an escape to show the list of windows that have the bell/monitor/log etc. flags set, or show only titles/numbers for %w), i'm thinking about escape to show list of windows that have some event handler listening on them, but I don't know if this is necessary, maybe even show list of windows with "time of activity/silence", if they're monitored.

- create an reasonable feedback from executed commands.

I hope that it's better now:)

Ivo Kovac
2009/3/31 Rui Guo <address@hidden>
On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 11:38 -0400, Robert Blackwell wrote:
> Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
> > * Ivo had this to say on [30 Mar 2009, 10:29:13 +0200]:
> >
> >> I want
> >> to ask you, if there is something about scripting, you want to be done (some
> >> ideas, what the interface between screen and scipting language should
> >> handle), please let me know. Thanks,.
> >>

> I think I have some notes from when I was working on this talk ....
>
> http://github.com/rblackwe/yapc--na-2007--making-an-ajax-gui-for-gnu-screen/tree/master
>
> But I recall getting a windows list to stdout was not easy.
> Also you would not tell if trying something like >screen -X select
> doesnotexit would fail.

I read your talk slides. Interesting, really. The '-X' switch is quite
powerful to command a running screen session, but the biggest problem is
that we can not get enough feedback through this interface. That's why
we need scripting support. I also mentioned this in my previous post in
the devel list. But you have done that more two years ago! :-)

Rui