Query info from an existing screen session?

From: Ryan Lynch
Subject: Query info from an existing screen session?
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:45:04 -0400

I know that I can send commands to a running 'screen' session, using
the `screen -X <command>...` option, but it seems like this is a
one-way street.  This command never seems to return any output--if
there is any response, it's usually only visible inside the screen
session, itself.

Is if possible to query a running screen session for its parameters,
or at least redirect the status output, so that a detached script can
read, say, the current window list?

-Ryan

Ryan B. Lynch
address@hidden