Re: Query info from an existing screen session?

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: Query info from an existing screen session?
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:58:36 -0400

* Ryan Lynch had this to say on [01 Oct 2009, 15:45:04 -0400]:
> I know that I can send commands to a running 'screen' session, using
> the `screen -X <command>...` option, but it seems like this is a
> one-way street.  This command never seems to return any output--if
> there is any response, it's usually only visible inside the screen
> session, itself.
>
> Is if possible to query a running screen session for its parameters,
> or at least redirect the status output, so that a detached script can
> read, say, the current window list?

Not yet. I am currently in the process of adding this support, however.
The basic framework to get back a response from an existing screen
session has been implemented. Now the commands need to be updated to
properly produce the response to send back as the query result. I am
going to update the 'info', 'lastmsg' and 'windows' commands for this
first. What other commands do you think a script might want to query?

Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Sadrul