Re: multiple screen categories

From: Wolfgang Hennerbichler
Subject: Re: multiple screen categories
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 06:04:02 +0000

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 18:32 -0500, Brian Kroth wrote:
> Wolfgang Hennerbichler <address@hidden> 2010-06-29 10:16:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > I do manage a huge bunch of devices, and I would like to have
> > something like a category or group within screen. currenty I run 3
> > screen sessions with multiple terminal sessions within each screen -
> > one connects to all our routers and switches, one to all our servers
> > and one is my development environment. unfortunately the only
> > comfortable way to switch between those screens is to use tabs in my
> > terminal. I would also like to get rid of those tabs, so is there a
> > way to somehow "group" the terminal sessions to specific screen
> > domains and not leave screen but switch to the other "group"?
>
> What about nested screens?

not really great if you press a lot of strg + a (I know I can remap it,
but that's something I'd not prefer).

> Also, there was a feature called window-groups in one of the development
> releases (I believe it's also been included in the Ubuntu/Debian
> packages).  I can't seem to find any docs on it now though other than
> the list archives.

yeah, I am evaluating those groups now. They are a nice feature, I have
grouped my categories together now, but it would be cool if the screen
numbers within a group would start at 1, would make switching faster.

> Search for the :group command and hopefully you'll find the rest of it.

thanks for the hint, it now looks like this in my config-file:

hardstatus alwayslastline
hardstatus string '%c %{+b}%h%{-b} (%n - %t) %w'
defscrollback 10000
sessionname default-wogri-servers

setenv SSH_AUTH_SOCK $HOME/.ssh-agent-screen.groups

zombie kr

screen -t wogri.at //group
screen -t server0 0 ssh-agent -a $SSH_AUTH_SOCK -t 43200 $SHELL
screen -t server1 0 ssh address@hidden
screen -t server2 0 ssh address@hidden

screen -t otherservers //group
screen -t server3 0 ssh address@hidden