security-discuss

Re: [security-discuss] gnuradio project DoS attacks GNU wget users

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [security-discuss] gnuradio project DoS attacks GNU wget users
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 10:54:56 +0000

On 17-03-02 20:08:39, ng0 wrote:
> On 17-03-02 11:50:09, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
> >
> >   > As far as I perceive it, ftp.gnu.org and the alpha ftp do not provide
> >   > any access to be used from tor exit nodes.
> >
> > This sounds like a real problem.  Can someone present a specific test case
> > that fails?
>
> That's as easy as running tor with a configuration where you exclude
> at least exit-nodes located in the USA. Then you will try to download
> any file on one of the download locations of gnu, with a graphical
> webbrowser - it does not have to be torbrowser - you pass it the
> arguments to use the socks5 proxy of tor as described in the torproject
> website documentation, and just trying to establish a connection to
> ftp.gnu.org will fail with "Error: Bad IP connecting".
>
> I have not checked my config in a while, but this shows that there's at
> least an problem if you connect not from within the USA. I can't recall
> if I ever had a good exit-node connecting to ftp.gnu.org, but I doubt it.

I have a correction to make: after someone else in a conversation told
me that it works for them, I tried to reproduce my problem. THe problem
is just when I use the ftp:// links, everything else works.

Which means, `torify telnet alpha.gnu.org 21' worked as well as
accessing the ftp over `http://alpha.gnu.org' and `http://ftp.gnu.org',
previously I assumed the ftp of gnu.org is still limited to only ftp
port access. So there is a problem with port 21 and maybe 20, but this
problem exists only because a majority of tor relays filter those ports.

I think the only improvement GNU can make is to have a list of onion
services, if GNU wants to. This can be achieved like Debian does with
https://onion.debian.org/ but it can also be achieved with sub domains
to just one onion. For an example take a look at http://secushare.org/
and http://youbroketheinternet.org where secushare.org mentions the
onion at the bottom of the page and for the second domain I have
forgotten where the anchor for the "Why not HTTPS" is.