sketch-devel

Re: test_svg10_export.py fails

From: Bernhard Herzog
Subject: Re: test_svg10_export.py fails
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:57:27 +0200

Bernhard Reiter <address@hidden> writes:

> Yeah, I also though that this was strange depending on getting
> the dtd over the net each time you want to verify a xml based format.

In a sense it's even worse, since expat is not a validating parser.  IMO
It shouldn't try to fetch the DTD unless it's explicitly activated by
the programmer.  There's not much a non-validting parser can do with the
DTD anyway.  In Thuban we worked around this by switching this off:

            parser.setFeature(xml.sax.handler.feature_validation,0)
            parser.setFeature(xml.sax.handler.feature_external_ges,0)
            parser.setFeature(xml.sax.handler.feature_external_pes,0)

Whether this works depends on whether the extra xml package is installed
and perhaps on the Python version.

> A proxy would help this a lot, but still it is a lot of traffic.

IMO Skencil should not fetch SVG DTDs.  If the DTDs are necessary,
copies of the DTDs should be shipped with Skencil.

> Nevertheless I guess that the Exception will need to be caught
> so that the test can be skipped.

The code should be fixed so that no network connections are done.

   Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Skencil                                http://sketch.sourceforge.net/