sketch-devel

Re: Getting CVS to compile

From: Joel Biddier
Subject: Re: Getting CVS to compile
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 21:19:57 -0800

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

Hi Joel,
it should be possible to get you a development version running.  ;)

Tell me about it. I am coming down to the logic:

“If I'm am the only one with the problem ... ”

The process of elimination can produce painful self reflecting results :-).

I think the fact that I ran an older development version with no effort and I wanted a quick fix when the air of effort seemed to loom over me (being my free time is getting shorter these days) was the impetus for my confusion and hastiness for a solution. Sorry.

I suggest building pygtk from source and install it locally:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pygtk/2.2/
should have the one that runs with gtk-2.2.

Hey you can even get a recent stable gtk-2.4 (aka GTK+ 2.4.13)
and build it locally (using --prefix=/your/favourite/directoy with configure)
and then fetch pygtk-2.4.1.

For developing application it usually makes some sense to just
build the stuff from source to not run into any errors with old version that your distribution might have.

Yes, I do that myself with my production and development boxes. But, I do not want to develop the new code yet. I just wanted to look over the code (maybe tinker with it) and run the application to get a feel of what is going on. And then pester everyone who *is* developing with a wish list or a request ;-). Hence, I did not wanted to compile new libs on my development boxes. When it comes to my development boxes, I am very particular – if I don't use it, I don't want it in there (it keeps things stable). I don't even network those boxes in fear of crakers screwing something up (yes, I'm paranoid too ;-) ). So until I actually do serious development on the new code, I will most likely not put more stuff on my development boxes.

As for the Linux boxes, I am more carefree. But, I am currently using them for my documentation. I do not what to make the boxes exceptional (they should be a rather standard installation. This ensures that I don't get results that only work for me. I'm trying to do Linux installations that are very passive – user adds mostly what is supported by OS vendor. Like using the SuSE's Python imaging lib for PIL on a SuSE box and not a "get it off the web rpm", etc...). I have a limited many machines to work with. I am already thinking I will need to have some boxes with several boots, so I can have access to clean installations of different OSs (or versions of an OS) for documentation. This will take time :-(. I'll look at getting the pygtk-2.4.1 in the mean time. That should not have an impact on the system's state.

I'll just need to resolve this on my own time (which is getting tight these days). So it may take me some time to catch up with the rest you. (not to imply that I was on the ball in the first place ;-) )

Thanks.

--J