sketch-devel

Getting CVS to compile

From: Bernhard Reiter
Subject: Getting CVS to compile
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 21:53:14 +0100

Hi Joel,
it should be possible to get you a development version running.  ;)

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:25:33AM -0800, Joel Biddier wrote:
> >Would be helpful to get a hint what exactly does not work,

> I have found that my pygtk is 1.x and not >=2.0 as needed and I may not
> have all the devel packages (as Bernhard suggets). I will have to
> upgrade at least one of my boxes.
> Most likely redhat8 to Fedora C2. But then I'll have to document
> (install and fonts) Fedora and not redhat 8 (There are good binaries
> for redhat 8, only a std/alias.sfd is needed - and I have that. So that
> may not be too bad).

If you have gtk+2.2 then you do not need to upgrade your distribution,
only additionally install the gtk development packages.

I suggest building pygtk from source and install it locally:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pygtk/2.2/
should have the one that runs with gtk-2.2.

Hey you can even get a recent stable gtk-2.4 (aka GTK+ 2.4.13)
and build it locally (using --prefix=/your/favourite/directoy with configure)
and then fetch pygtk-2.4.1.

For developing application it usually makes some sense to just
build the stuff from source to not run into any errors with old
version that your distribution might have.

Bernhard R.

If Skencil is useful for you, consider tipping the project:
               http://www.skencil.org/payments.html