sketch-devel

Re: Temporary tools

From: Bernhard Herzog
Subject: Re: Temporary tools
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 02:10:38 +0100

Valentin Ungureanu <address@hidden> writes:

>> I wonder whether we should get rid of the global tool and simply
>> manage the current tool at the editor level only.
[...]
> The context would be used only to pass a SetTool call to the editor,
> and it would be the task of the editor to send a TOOL message after it
> sets the new tool.  To this message would be subscribed the canvas (to
> set a new cursor), some menu items and the tool buttons.

Indeed. That's what had to be done to implement it.  See the new patch
http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=4695
I'd like to get some feedback on this before I commit it.

>> This might introduce some usability problems, though, especially
>> with the current global toolbox window.  Of couse we should get rid
>> of that, too, and give each document window a menu and toolbar.

After playing around with it a bit, it doesn't seem to be much of a
problem, if any.

> We could subscribe the tool buttons to the context.  This way each
> button can adjust its sensitivity and set itself as active or not when
> the context changes.  So even if the toolbox doesn't go away it would
> always reflect the tool of the current editor.

That's basically the way it was already implemented even without the new
patch.  Whether a button is active or not is effectively a view (in MFC
sense) on the current tool.  The toolbox code didn't need a single
change.

  Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/