sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Filter mismatch

From: Andrew Girling
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Filter mismatch
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:57:01 -0400

Andrew Girling wrote:
All,

Foremost thank you for your assistance in setting up gossip peering. It is much appreciated. I now have a problem on my hands that I have been having a tough time finding information about.

Here's some background on my setup:

sks version 1.0.9 on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p10, installed from ports.

Keydump from ftp://ftp.pramberger.at/services/keyserver/keydump/ downloaded and used to build the database.

Here's what I'm seeing:

In my log.recon, I notice the following types of error messages for several different hosts in my membership file:

2008-03-22 17:53:41 <recon as client> error in callback.: Failure("configuration of remote host (<ADDR_INET xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:11370>) rejected: filters do not match.\n\tlocal filters: [ yminsky.dedup ]\n\tremote filters: [ yminsky.dedup yminsky.merge ]")

I noticed in log.db, on initialization it only loads the one filter:

008-03-22 15:50:16 Applied filters: yminsky.dedup

I have searched through as much documentation as I could find, but I am unable to come up with any information regarding filters.

Can anyone please explain what these filters are and how I might configure them?

Are versions 1.0.9 and 1.0.10 incompatible? If so, does anyone have success with running 1.0.10 on FreeBSD?

Thanks in advanced!

Well, I was able to solve my own problem after browsing through the source code. I'm not an Ocaml programmer, but the syntax was easy enough to understand.

It turns out the "sks cleandb" function applies the yminsky.merge attribute to the database. I had failed to notice during my sks_build.sh that "sks cleandb" had failed (I let it run overnight and the final output seemed OK). I reran "sks cleandb" and now the proper filters are being applied:

2008-03-22 18:43:42 Applied filters: yminsky.dedup, yminsky.merge

Also on a version compatibility note, the recon server will spit out a different error message if there is an incompatable version mismatch.

Hopefully this information will be of use to someone down the line.

I will continue to look into operating version 1.0.10 on FreeBSD, as the port is out of date.

Has anyone made progress on resurrecting and updating the documentation? Jonathan at keysigning.org has a good document[1] on the setup of SKS, but I feel complete documentation on this project is lacking. I may be willing to take on this task, but I'd like to get an idea of what else is out there.

Thanks again.

--
Andrew Girling
address@hidden