sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Some bugs

From: Joseph Oreste Bruni
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Some bugs
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 19:03:04 -0700

On May 23, 2008, at 6:24 PM, Yaron Minsky wrote:

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Joseph Oreste Bruni <address@hidden> wrote: The "dump" command doesn't appear to be parsing command line arguments correctly.

First, if I omit the "dumpname" option, it appears that some random value is used for the prefix to the filename of the output files. I'm guessing that the filename portion is uninitialized in "sksdump.ml". The "name" value on line 77 doesn't appear to get set.

What was the command-line option you used?  When I run, for example:

  sks dump 100000 ~/foobar snoobar

then I see messages saying:

  Dumping keys to file /home/yminsky/foobar/snoobar-0000.pgp

which is precisely the way I expect it to work. What happens when you try it?

If I include the "snoobar" parameter, it works as expected. If I omit that parameter, the file name prefix appears to be somewhat random. Sometimes the files are named "sks-dump-0000.pgp" but other times they are named "true-0000.pgp" and other such odd values. Of course, now that I'm testing it again, I can't seem to duplicate the behavior that I witnessed before. (It figures.)

Secondly, it appears that the "numkeys" value isn't parsed properly. When I try to dump one key, I get all. If I try to dump five keys I get 15. Not sure what is happening here.

I think you're misunderstanding the feature. numkeys determines not how many keys get dumped, but how many get included in each file. The dump always dumps everything.

Ah, you are correct: I misunderstood the use of the parameter. Perhaps the documentation could be expanded slightly to include that clarification. That was not obvious to me.

• The man pages only says this:

       dump #keys dumpdir
           Create a raw dump of the keys in the database.

• The output of "sks help" says this:

        sks dump #keys dumpdir:  Create a raw dump of the keys in the database

• The usage string only says this:

vortex:~ joseph$ sks dump
wrong number of arguments
usage: sksdump numkeys dumpdir [dumpname]