sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS RAM usage gone haywire

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS RAM usage gone haywire
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:50:48 -0500

On 02/13/2009 10:21 PM, Phil Pennock wrote:
> Normally, sks consumes a negligible amount of the resources on my
> server; some GB of disk, some MB RAM (~45 right now, after restart), not
> enough network that I've bothered to isolate figures for it.
>
> I just found that my box was thrashing badly because sks had jumped to
> using 3GB RAM.  On a 2GB box + swap, this was unhealthy.
>
> I'm not seeing anything stand out in db.log or recon.log; has anyone
> else seen this behaviour?  Any ideas of causes or spoor to look for in
> the logs?

Yikes!  Thanks for pointing that out, because you made me check up on a
 keyserver i'm responsible for.  It looks like zimmermann.mayfirst.org
is doing the same thing.  the sks recon process in particular now has an
RSS of 3.3g.

Sending the process a SIGHUP is not sufficient to make it clean up any
memory either.

After a restart, the recon process only consumes ~5MB of RAM.

I'll be placing sks recon under some stricter memory limits on
zimmermann now, which might mean that it crashes because of hitting
those limits.  I suspect there's a memory leak which could be worth
tracking down.

        --dkg