sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] LDAP back-end

From: Joseph Oreste Bruni
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] LDAP back-end
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:48:19 -0700

GnuPG supports an LDAP interface directly without needing to use SKS. If you are using OpenLDAP the schema extensions can be found easily enough. I did this for a small, private key server in my company for awhile until my needs outgrew an LDAP implementation.

The downside of using LDAP for a keyserver is that values are replaced rather than merged as is preferred by the nature of signatures. A key signed by you will be overwritten by the same key signed by me if I first don't take care to update my copy of the key with the keyserver version first, resulting in lost signatures, preferences and other changes.

BerkeleyDB is nice (it is very fast) but does have its quirks. Perhaps you could spend that energy redoing the backend using SQLite instead of LDAP. I don't know if anyone has provided language bindings for SQLite in Ocaml, though.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone