sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Dump

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Dump
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:33:52 +0200

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 22:25 -0500, John Clizbe wrote:
> Yes, Chris. It would, especially after losing Peter's site. It would also be
> great if we could expand the number of sites offering keydumps so Marco's site
> doesn't have to bear all of the traffic.
Maybe the following would be the best:
Change all the documentation of SKS (e.g. also README.Debian or things
like that in distribution's packages) to tell people that they should
get the initial keydump from
ftp/http://one.common.domain/
Which is actually just a round robing DNS like the sks pool.

> Ahhhhh, the perennial keyserver SPAM canard.
Yeah it's really ridiculous to see this over and over again, just about
the same as when people demand to have their keys removed, which really
just shows how they don't understand critical parts of the whole web of
trust...

> Actually, it's a problem that does exist. For a long time, the SKS community
> had
> two sites offering keydumps. One had to shutdown last month, putting all the
> traffic onto a single site.
I guess the main fact that was keeping people from offering this so far,
is that it could really require a lot of traffic,... but if a pooling
system would be there, it would probably easy to convince many people in
taking part.

Cheers,
Chris.