sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Dump

From: R P Herrold
Subject: [Sks-devel] Dump
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 08:20:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, John Clizbe wrote:

Do you REALLY think spammers pull addresses one-by-one?

I think you are running around solving a problem that does not exist, and
impariing the privacy of a whole community's members

Please explain how making available publicly available information is impairing
privacy. That argument sounds a tad too much like "Security by Obscurity" and
the abysmal success of that approach is widely known.

I'll unsubscribe from this list at the end of the day. I dont need the sarcasm from the last couple of posts. I did not just roll off of the turnip truck as to spam -- I was active from the start with the DSBL (and before that the predecessor ORBZ [domain has expired - link removed]) anti-Open Relay, anti-spam identification tool. 'A credentials war is rarely useful on the Usenet'

At DSBL we did distributed one-off 'host at an IP' testing of potentially spam producing, organically assembling a 'vetted' list of IPs that were demonstrably mis-configured; the counter approach is a 'wholesale' listing of blocks of IPs based on generalizing rules (is the name not se tin a PTR, is the name one that looks like: a dialup, a residential, a block from a disfavored country

The issue is one off vs. wholesale, and the initial inquiry from the .edu poster demonstrates that it is not generally known how to get all 2.9 million without effort beyond that of a casual attacker

Facilitating anonymous wholesale transfers increases the size of the population able to readily have a corpus to spam at, with a set of assumedly valid email addresses and matching ID information

Please explain how adding to that pool of bad actors by providing ready access to a frequently updated corpus is a win -- If I were a black-hat, I'd be building a new product already to leverage those wholesale updates

-- Russ herrold