sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Big amount of updated keys yesterday?

From: Jeff Johnson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Big amount of updated keys yesterday?
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:40:10 -0400

On Apr 13, 2011, at 7:55 AM, Sebastian Wiesinger wrote:

>> An update of 5000-1000 keys over 2-3 hours isn't wildly out of line
>> with the statistics I've seen.
>
> I don't know if it is a problem, it's just something I would like to
> avoid if possible. It gets the server load up and causes I/O wait.

Well I/O wait is an intrinsic problem, while the size of the update is an
extrinsic issue.

So let's deal with "I/O wait" as the problem.

>> Key servers come and go, and when there's a diconnection of some sort,
>> then there can be a burst of activity when the disconnection repairs itself.
>>
>> That is the nature of gossip proptocols.
>>
>> Is there a real problem here? What is the problem?
>
> Again, I don't know if it is a problem but it's unusual at least. I
> don't know about you but I want to know the reason why a program is
> suddenly using a high amount of resources on my server.

Sure, perfectly understood.

What is in your DB_CONFIG file? Have you tuned Berkeley DB?

My DB_CONFIG looks something like what is attached. Note that there are
other possible causes of "I/O wait", but Berkeley DB is in the engine room,
so its a reasonable place to start looking.

Caveat:
I spend way too much time fussing with Berkeley DB issues (in RPM) to try
to tune SKS keyservers for absolute maximum performance. So take the above
values as
nominal and "gud ebuf" rather than any serious attempt to tune for performance.

hth

73 de Jeff
set_lg_dir              ./log
set_tmp_dir             ./tmp

set_flags               DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE

# -- thread_count must be >= 8
#set_thread_count        64

# ================ Logging
set_lg_regionmax        1048576