sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks-network

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks-network
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 15:07:59 -0400

> And there is no such thing as semi-static IP's.... it's static or
> dynamic, if we are going to explain dns let's be correct about it :)

Well, if we're being correct about it... all IPs are dynamic.  "Static" just
means "for a given time frame, it doesn't change."  I have one friend who's had
the same IP address on a DHCP lease from his cable provider for over four years
now: is that a static IP, or is the fact that it could change tomorrow enough
to make it dynamic?

You are free to make whatever policy you want for your own servers.  For me, I
find that it's more useful to worry about "can I resolve this hostname?" than
it is to worry about whether an IP changes.

> A decent pipe -- we all know that anything less then a 1mb pipe is just
> going to cause issues.

I don't know this.  Given the typical bandwidth used by SKS, a 128k ISDN line
would seem perfectly adequate.  The test should be, "do you have enough spare
capacity to effectively participate," not "do you meet this arbitrary
requirement."

If I'm using a 1.544 MB/s T1 line to BitTorrent ISOs, well, I wouldn't consider
that to be a great setup for a keyserver: although I meet the arbitrary 1Mb
cutoff, I likely don't have enough spare capacity to effectively participate.

(In fairness, you make this point yourself later on, which confuses me: why do
you maintain both that it's spare capacity which is needed, as well as an
arbitrary cutoff of 1Mb/sec?  The two claims seem contradictory.)

> If there aren't standards set now what will happen in a couple years?

I imagine that in a couple of years we will continue to run according to "loose
consensus and available servers."

> I have no intentions of stirring up a bees nest but maybe SKS should
> have some standards to enforce. I personally want to be sure I am
> peering with stable servers and not some desktop a person uses to play
> games on.

I often shell into my server and use it to log into MUDs.  Why should that
disqualify me?