sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 peering; keydumps annoyingly large

From: David Benfell
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 peering; keydumps annoyingly large
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 01:48:38 -0700

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011, Kiss Gabor (Bitman) wrote:

> I think the current sctructure is vulnerable.
> But probably there is no way to protect it without extreme
> costs and service level degradation.
> It works till Chinese government or jolly script kiddies allow.
> Then over.

I think my fear here is that it isn't just the Chinese government
which has an interest in prying into people's emails.  I realize we
aren't supposed to call it the Global War On Terror anymore.  And I
realize we aren't supposed to call it Total Information Awareness
anymore.  But both of these continue with a government that
continues to press the boundaries of privacy protections.

If memory serves, it was in 2004 that Privacy International
categorized the U.S. as an endemic surveillance state.  And since
that time it has continued to pursue private information and to do
so often without a warrant--though the FISA court has yet to decline
a single warrant request.

The one thing that probably saves us is that the adoption rate for
GnuPG/PGP is so pathetically low.

--
David Benfell <address@hidden>
http://www.parts-unknown.org/