sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] HTML5 in index page

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] HTML5 in index page
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 02:55:01 -0400

On 2011-08-29 at 02:40 -0400, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> Although I don't mean to dissuade anyone from following their muse, why
> HTML5?  Wouldn't 401+CSS be better supported by existing browsers?  Or
> does 5 add some vital capability that I'm just completely missing?

HTML (done right) downgrades gracefully.  If anyone using an older
browser experiences problems with http://sks.spodhuis.org/ then please
report it to me as a bug.

HTML5 provides drag and drop, including from the desktop.  Thus my using
it to let you drag an ASCII-armored keyfile into the browser and drop it
on the upload textarea.  If your browser is only HTML4, then you just
don't get the extra functionality and you get to play with cut&paste
instead.  Given the hassles I sometimes have with cut&paste and large
amounts of text, I hope that the D&D approach will be more reliable.

There's other stuff HTML5 provides, but I'm not the person to ask; I'm
not a webmaster, just a sysadmin who can do crude HTML hackery.  If
you're interested, try <http://diveintohtml5.org/> or
<http://www.html5rocks.com/en/>.

-Phil