sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] HTML5 in index page

From: Samir Nassar
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] HTML5 in index page
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:13:32 +0300

On 08/31/2011 10:09 , Kim Minh Kaplan wrote:
>>> You do not have to change SKS to do what you want. You should not
>>> use SKS HTML output but use it as a webservice : do a HTTP request
>>> asking for machine readable output, parse and display that as it
>>> suits you.
>>
>> Does SKS provide output differently for browsers and non-browser HTTP
>> clients?
>
> No. But you can use "options=mr" to get plain text colon separated
> output. Mmm, I see that you do not provide it on your index.html.
> Check out Phil Pennocks', he has a checkbox for Machine-readable.

options=mr only seems to work for op=vindex and op=index and not for op=get

> With machine readable output you get easily parsable plain text, not
> HTML. Most languages will provide some form of split function that
> will do most of the work. Some extra work is needed to catter for the
> name field that could contain colons but it should be really easy...
> Probably much easier than adding a template system to SKS.
>
> What part of SKS' HTML output is not proper?

It doesn't contain a DOCTYPE. It might seem a pedantic, small thing, but
it matters.

I think there is a big gap in communication if what is being said "SKS
should be able to serve up CSS and JS files and make it easier including
custom HTML" is being understood as "adding a template system to SKS".

The default output op=index, op=vindex and op=get could use some help in
becoming modern. This doesn't mean adding all sorts of things to SKS.

At the very least this means:

Valid HTML (not only well-formed)
Giving SKS admins the ability to display the output in interesting ways
by making it easier to attach stylesheets to the output (not just
index.html).

Samir

--
Samir Nassar