sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net New HKPS subpool added

From: Stephan Seitz
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net New HKPS subpool added
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 23:05:23 +0200

Am Montag, den 08.10.2012, 13:09 -0700 schrieb Phil Pennock:
> On 2012-10-08 at 21:32 +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> > The certificate presented by keys2.kfwebs.net should be chained
> > certificate containing both the CA itself and the individual cert for
> > keys2.kfwebs.net. I'm not entirely sure that this is fully required, but
> > at least it works for me :)
>
> Right, that tests subjectAltName operation in TLS certificate
> verification.  That works.
>
> Unless everyone else _replaces_ their certs with certs issued by you,
> that in itself doesn't help: it means you become the only person who can
> issue certs for any SKS keyserver's HTTPS interface.
>
> The key is for other people to be able to issue _different_ certs based
> on the serverNameIndication in the TLS client hello message; vhosting,
> like the Host: header in HTTP, but moved up into the TLS handshake so
> that the server can select the correct key/cert pair to use for the
> session.
>
> I'll go ahead and send you a CSR shortly, so that sks.spodhuis.org can
> have two certs and we can test.  :)

Hi guys,

sorry for asking dumb questions, but this is something far beyond my
daily business ;)

I recently created a key /csr for keyserver.secretresearchfacility.com .
It's signed by a CA, so I currently do have a valid crt.

As I read your posts, I guess I should  create a new csr for that key
like:

subjectAltName = @alt_names

[alt_names]
DNS.1 = keyserver.secretresearchfacility.com
DNS.2 = hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net

and glue the results (my key, the two crt's and the intermediate(s))
together?

I don't believe this will work ;)

Another approach could be SNI, couldn't it?

I already use namebased vhosts (thank's for your explanation of TLS,
phil), so I could configure two proxies which are identical despite the
hostname and the certificates. That way, I would use two different
keys / crts without the need for subjectAltName.