sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] 16-digit keyid with machine-readable output

From: John Clizbe
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] 16-digit keyid with machine-readable output
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:50:57 -0500

Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2012-10-25 at 15:50 -0500, John Clizbe wrote:
>> Kristian and I were discussing this exact item yesterday. From my reading of
>> [1], I think 16-digit key IDs should be returned in the mr index. I /think/
>> Kristian may also be thinking that way.
>
> ----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
>       <keyid> = this is either the fingerprint or the key ID of the
>                 key.  Either the 16-digit or 8-digit key IDs are
>                 acceptable, but obviously the fingerprint is best.  A
>                 keyserver should use the most specific of the key IDs
>                 that it has available.  Since it is not possible to
>                 calculate the key ID from a V3 key fingerprint, for V3
>                 keys this should be either the 16-digit or 8-digit
>                 key ID only.
> ----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
>
> That text seems reasonable.  Is there any software other than GnuPG
> which is checking the output?

dunno

> I'm inclined to agree with the text, regard 16-digit as a fallback for
> old keys, and otherwise use the full fingerprint, which reduces the
> potential for collision further.
>
>> &fingerprint=on works in the normal (v)index code. Not in the mr index code
>> yet.
>
> Unless the idea is to say "16 bit unless you ask for fingerprint" ?

s/bit/digit/.  Yes, that's what I'm thinking.

An alternate approach, which impacts client code, would be a separate fpr
line. Don't like that one much.

> Changing the two '8's to constants, defined as 16, is certainly an easy
> fix.  :)

Changing the ~short:true to ~short:false in mRindex only affects the call of
Fingerprint.keyid_to_string, not potentially all the other uses of it.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John (a) Gingerbear DAWT net
SKS/Enigmail/PGP-EKP                  or: John ( @ ) Enigmail DAWT net