sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Peering etiquette reminder

From: Jeremy T. Bouse
Subject: [Sks-devel] Peering etiquette reminder
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 11:37:50 -0400

    Having just spent about an hour sifting through my recon.log and
trying to track down the number of unauthorized gossip attempts I was
seeing I've stopped. I've already contacted a few that I was able to
identify and instead just figured I'd blanket the list as it seems to be
a wider issue.

    When you're adding peers to your membership file you need to contact
the admin of that peer and let them know! It does you no good to simply
add them to your side.

    The other behavior I've seen is hosts wildly out of date that are
constantly locking up the recon process with large requests for keys. If
you're that far out of date it would be far kinder to the network to
re-aquire a current keydump and get up to date before tying up gossip
peering connections.

    I've ran into both while looking through my logs this morning.