sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Advertising temporary disconnections?

From: Gunnar Wolf
Subject: [Sks-devel] Advertising temporary disconnections?
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 18:49:07 -0600

Hi,

I have seen several messages lately on this list regarding temporary
(i.e. a day or two, AFAICT) server disconnections.

Every now and then, I get such a disconnect. My SKS server runs as a
container in my desktop computer, so hardware changes or power outages
do impact it more than what would be in a data center. But given that
telling people, "oh, I am recompiling my kernel and will reboot soon"
(a bit of an exaggeration, I know) means that either they won't act on
it, or that they will need to manually disable/re-enable my server in
their membership files... I never felt the need to say publicly.

Now, what would the general feeling be on this? Do we expect
privately-run SKS servers to have a four-nines, five-nines or such
uptime?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.