spamass-milt-list

Milter not restarting?

From: Cassandra Lynette Brockett
Subject: Milter not restarting?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:13:56 -0700

I have this weird situation I've noticed from the current CVS tree of
spamass-milter.  When I start the milter, it triggers three copies of the
milter, as I receive email in from the server, those three copies seem to
stick around, unless I happen to get multiple emails in "at once" (by that I
mean if an email is received while the milter is already processing another
email).  What happens then is that I seem to "loose" one of the milter
copies.

For the number of users I have on my home server, this would not seem to be
much of a problem - but almost all of the users on it are on multiple
mailing lists - some of them even overlap the list entries.  What this means
is that within about four hours of starting spamass-milter, I no longer have
any processes running to read the inbound emails...

I have tried doing an automatic restart of the milter every few hours, but
for some reason the milter does not like that happening (the milter in fact
does not always restart, unless I write a detailed script to make sure the
program is dead, and kill all run files, and then start the milter - not
much fun, that should be the job of the startup script - which from what I
read of the script, it should be handling fine anyway)....

All in all I'm stumped, it seems weird that with the same options the
current release runs perfectly, but the cvs release (which from what I can
tell has not had any major changes done to it's exit and restart handling)
does not...

Anyone else seen this?

Also any ideas on how I might be able to actually get more details of this
error to actually be able to give the author at least a good idea of what to
look at?

Regards,
    Cassandra