spamass-milt-list

IPv6 issues (was: Re: Milter (spamassassin): to error state ...)

From: Joost van Baal
Subject: IPv6 issues (was: Re: Milter (spamassassin): to error state ...)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:48:41 +0200

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:47:42AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
>   just wanted to toss in my 2 cents. not a programmer
> just an admin/user. Anyhow, am using Redhat 7.3 based
> linux box with sendmail built from redhat 8.0 srpm
> ... 8.12.x sendmail. Normal Redhat Spec build for
> redhat 7.x produced sendmail with ipv6 support enabled.
>   with this, spamass-milter crashed and died a couple
> times or more per day, meanwhile two other servers
> based on older redhat 6.2 but using sendmail built from
> same srpm was very stable.
>  The bottom line is with ipv6 support enabled the milter
> crashed very regularly. I have a watchdog script that
> checks every 10 minutes.

How does your watchdog script work?  Can it cope with a situation where
one spamass-milter process stays lingering around, while the actual
spam-tagging fails?  If so, I'm very interested in it.

> Changing the build to skipping
> ipv6 support resulted in the milter being very stable on
> redhat 7.3 with the updated sendmail. It really was a
> major night and day difference for me.
>  The linux kernel was also built with most drivers
> compiled in. version is 2.4.20 kernel.org sources. ipv6
> is probably not compiled into this kernel so that may
> have created the instability. However one server is for
> a small campus and stability is my primary concern so
> only the basics for that box for now.

I don't think IPv6 is related to the problem I'm coping with:
"CONFIG_IPV6 is not set" in my kernel.

The Debian supplied sendmail binary I am using has IPv6 enabled, but my
sendmail configuration doesn't use it.

Tnx anyway for sharing your thoughts.

Bye,

Joost