spamass-milt-list

Timeout problems and how i fixed it: was Re: timeout

From: coffeelover
Subject: Timeout problems and how i fixed it: was Re: timeout
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 08:35:49 -0600

Folks,
 just wanted to comment a little bit from my experiences

 I am using redhat 7.3 as base with custom sendmail
RPMs produced from source RPMs for redhat 8.0 update
site of course. As i mentioned a while back i also had
major problems with the milter until i disabled IPV6
support in sendmail. This was done by editing the
patches applied by redhat and removing the IPV6 stuff.
This resulted in a compiled sendmail binary without IPv6
support. The difference in milter stability was amazing.
I have a spamass-milter watchdog script that is not
needed anymore. Previously the script would restart
the milter several times per day on a light duty server
handling about 200 messages a day. I never ran the
milter on the busyier campus server until i built
sendmail without IPv6 support. This server is now also
quite stable and handles about 5-6,000 messages per day.
There is/was a problem using the dnsbl support of
sendmail with IPv6 enabled. If the usage of dnsbl
enabled sendmail with IPv6 enabled causes spamass-milter
problems i did not do any further analysis for this.
  If you look at the spec file for the sendmail source
rpm you can determine which patch(s) is applied during
the build process. Just edit the patch itself to remove
IPv6 support then build new binary RPMs and test.
 Basically this is a report for what works for me.
 -Patrick Main-