spamass-milt-list

Re: user preferences and mail relays

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: user preferences and mail relays
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:46:00 -0600

In the last episode (Mar 03), Todd Lyons said:
> Michael Grant wanted us to know: If I use the -u flag, is that the
> > user that is passed when spamass-milter cannot figure out a user to
> > use from the headers?
>
> Yes.

A clarification: it doesn't actually look at the email headers, but the
envelope (the smtp RCPT TO: <> lines).  If you receive a mailinglist or
BCC'd email, your address may not be in the headers at all.

> > There is a file in /etc/mail/local-host-names which contains the
> > names of all the domains that my box are known as.  Couldn't
> > spamass-milter be smart enough to read this file and then it would
> > know which domain was localdomain.com and then it could know to
> > pass user1 instead of user2 to spamc?
>
> The question is whether sendmail passes to the milter the username the
> remote MTA said it was sending to, or if it passes the username that
> sendmail has determined it's being aliased to.

Milters get the raw text from the "RCPT TO" command.  If you add the -x
switch to spamass-milter, it will run that address through sendmail
again to expand it out to the final delivery address, which will help
if you have lots of aliases or virusertable rewriting going on.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden