spamass-milt-list

Re: mail relay question

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: mail relay question
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:59:40 -0600

In the last episode (Mar 02), Michael Grant said:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:04:11 +0100, Michael Grant <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I used to run spamd via procmail and procmail was my delivery
> > method in sendmail.  (i.e. sendmail called procmail to append a
> > message to a user's mailbox).  Using this, procmail runs as the
> > user mail is being delievered to.
> >
> > How do you get spamass-milter to do the same thing?
>
> The man page says that if you DON'T specify the -u flag, spamd
> setuids to the userid of spamc.
>
> spamass-milter calls spamc, therefore, I think I need the -u flag in
> spamass-milter.  But does this make spamass-milter set the uid for
> all incoming mail or just mail that isn't to someone on my server?
>
> What I want is only relay mail to use the default user and all other
> mail to use the real user's preferences file.  Is this possible?

Another person asked a similar question recently, and the answer is a
bit complicated.  spamass-milter doesn't know what user database
spamassassin has available to it, so all its -u flag can do is extract
the recipient name and pass it on.  If there are multiple recipients,
the username is whatever the -u argument was set to.

When spamassassin gets hold of the message, is tries to look up the
username passed from spamass-milter.  If that fails, it simply uses the
default settings.  The spamd logs may claim that's it's using the
settings for "nobody", but it isn't.  So as long as you have reasonable
default settings in your local.cf, everything should work.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden