spamass-milt-list

-x on Postfix, and a possible fix.

From: Tony Shadwick
Subject: -x on Postfix, and a possible fix.
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 06:50:52 -0500

Okay, so quick search yields that no one else has fought with this yet, and since I'm the on that asked for the feature way back when, I guess it is only appropriate that I'm asking for this too. :)

In short - `sendmail -bv` does not behave as expected on Postfix. I've known this for about a year, but him-hawed about speaking up. Now it's biting me in the rear. Instead of printing to the terminal the results, it emails the current user the results.

I did quite a bit of research on the matter, and it has something to do with postfix not being run as root or somesuch. Whatever the reason, there's really no way to make `sendmail -bv` behave as it does with sendmail.

The alternative would be to provide what I call spamass-milter -y, which would be to bring your own expansion command. Convienently for me, I have one handy:

tshadwick# postmap -q address@hidden /etc/postfix/virtual
tshadwick

One could, in fact ditch -x and use -y on the same system by doing this:

tshadwick# sendmail -bv address@hidden | grep "deliverable: mailer local" | awk '/mailer local, user (.*?)/ {print $6}'
numbski

(different machines - output from both is accurate).

So I guess what I proprose is allow -y to call a single command (I could do the above example in a script), and it would then behave as -x does today.

The reason I believe this is important is because I have another site running postfix where postmap -q wouldn't do the job. They are using postfix's mysql capability. I could however structure a script to query mysql and return the correct result. It would allow proper customization all the way around.

For now, I guess I can recompile spamass-milter and just change the behavior of -x, but long-term I expect more users to go from sendmail to postfix, and the result of -x right now on postfix isn't good - it leaves a ton of zombie processes waiting to get an answer back. Not your fault - you wrote this for sendmail, not postfix. Personally, I feel like the Postfix project is being somewhat obstinate about the whole thing - lots of people rely on sendmail -bv's behavior. Simply allowing us to throw a flag or set a variable to get the old behavior back would be trivial, but they have repeatedly refused to do so. This fixes that.

Tony Shadwick