straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] where to install the straw libs?

From: Alastair Tse
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] where to install the straw libs?
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:13:23 +0000

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 08:06, Jan Michael C. Alonzo wrote:
> $(LIBDIR)/python2.x/site-packages seems to be for python specific
> libraries and "supposed to be" not for application libraries. Ross[1]
> seems to install it in /usr/lib/{straw} and I wonder where do other
> distros install their package?

Gentoo Linux installs it in /usr/lib/python*/site-packages. The
advantage of installing it in /usr/lib/straw is that it means straw
becomes python version independent. However, in most cases, people only
actively use one version of python anyway, so there probably isn't much
of an advantage.

This leads to another question, why does straw use Makefiles rather than
distutils? Seems like a prime candidate to use distutils because it
doesn't involve any (C) source code compilation.

> I would like to suggest installing it in /usr/lib/{straw}. Any opinions?
> suggestions?

I'm happy either way. /usr/lib/straw is good for keeping it python
version independent, whereas site-packages is more python-centric,
keeping all the modules in one place.

Cheers,

--
Alastair 'liquidx' Tse