straw-devel

[Straw-devel] Re: Straw patch

From: Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
Subject: [Straw-devel] Re: Straw patch
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:13:48 +0200

Juri Pakaste wrote:

Is it possible to add twisted support without thrashing Straw's own
polling stuff? Lots of people are already bashing Straw being a
dependency hell and we don't want to add another dependency as much as
possible. Making twisted optional, I think, is the way to go.

Yeah. Much as I'd love to use Twisted instead of the stuff I've written
myself - Twisted is undoubtedly better debugged - there's no way it can
become a hard dependency at this point.
Jan summed up the structure pretty well. It could and should be cleaner,
but it shouldn't be very difficult to understand.
Ok, let's try to come to a closer point for both.

Uhmm... Since I think that doing the integration work all by myself is a bit of a pain (and will be really slow going),
the solution is really simple...

I basically need some methods (hopefully simple and fast ones) to do some stuff, and if they are not there, you can maybe
write them to help me, i hope.

This is what I would have done:

The aggregator has a "start" method which accepts a list made of tuples like ('URL', EXTRA_OBJ)

So you can send it the feed object (the one in the tree view seen from the GUI) to the start method (or a list of, when you need to update more than one feed at a time).

Then my aggregator downloads and parses (to the raw structure from feeparser.parse() ) the feed, then it can do some work (now it just prints) like
inserting that stuff in a database or such.

Then it returns a deferred. ---- Now this is how it's done.

In the adapted version it would call the method that updates the GUI with the new feeds (maybe through the feed obj reference).

If you can point me to the sections of straw where this code is.

thx

--
Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
Linux User #310274, Gentoo Proud User