straw-devel

[Straw-devel] Release Early, Release Often: releasing 0.25 later this we

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: [Straw-devel] Release Early, Release Often: releasing 0.25 later this week?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:31:02 +0300

Straw hasn't really shined in the RERO department lately, but I was
thinking we might do a 0.25 release with the current state? It doesn't
have all that I thought 0.25 might have, but I think it is in a rather
good shape and there are changes there that might be nice to get out:

- The pygtk.require stuff at the head of the executable: I don't know if
it's necessary, but I *think* it not being there might break Straw where
there is pygtk 0.x installed.

- Startup notification

- Optimizations: the minor stuff (signaling is a tad faster, CSS not
read from disk every time), the major stuff (feedparser optimization, no
redrawing of the feed list on every small update to every single feed,
no three redraws of the feed list on start up), the not really
optimization but nice anyway stuff (show main window early on, do
pending events handling a bit more often.)

- A bit nicer looking item view

- Some updated translations

The whole optimization part is the biggie: I believe Straw is now quite
a bit more responsive than 0.24 was.

A damn shame the threaded name resolver couldn't be enabled by default
but that's the way it is, let's see about that again some other time.

How'd you guys feel about that? Anyone want to protest the claim it's
stable? Jan, think you can get some of that stuff you're working ready
quick, or can it just wait for the next version? Someone else really
close to getting something release quality? If we release 0.25 now, I'll
continue the clean-up/refactor/optimization/etc work in 0.26 too.

--
[ Juri Pakaste | address@hidden | http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]