straw-devel

[Straw-devel] style issues

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: [Straw-devel] style issues
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:17:44 +0300

This is about using of Python's __ identifier hiding syntax
(http://docs.python.org/ref/atom-identifiers.html).

I haven't expressed myself too clearly on this matter in the past,
partially because I hadn't quite decided what I think about it myself.
You probably can find cases of me breaking the rule in the code.
However, I have now thought about it, and come to the decision. I
believe this is the first rule of coding for Straw :-)

Please avoid using private name mangling in the future. I believe a
single underscore preceding the name is quite sufficient to make it
clear the method/attribute in question is private, and it doesn't make
the compiler do horrible hacks. My opinion is that __ is a misfeature
that should have never gone in the language and we shouldn't be using it
in Straw.

--
[ Juri Pakaste | address@hidden | http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]