straw-devel

[Straw-devel] straw db breakage, FeedItems testing

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: [Straw-devel] straw db breakage, FeedItems testing
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:48:16 +0300

As those of you who follow the development tree(s) might have noticed,
things haven't worked very well for a while. I hope I fixed the bugs
that caused this last weekend, but if you've been running recent
versions, your db is in a pretty badly mixed up state. I just committed
some more stuff that tries to fix the breakage, but I don't think it
fixes all of it. I decided to punt on this: you need either a pre-
breakage .straw (if you've been following my tree, the bugs were
introduced in patch-25, I believe) or a fresh directory. Sorry about
that.

Now: if you still see problems like hidden unread items and stuff like
that, please report. Of course, things being like they are, the report
probably doesn't help very much beyond the fact that I know I should
keep on looking. It all depends on the state of your db.

Of course it would be nice if we could have some tests for this thing,
but I don't think it's possible quite yet. Basically FeedItems would
have to be tested with at least the following combinations of two polls,
where limit is the maximum number of articles kept in the feed:

Less than limit items, less than limit items
Less than limit items, more than limit items
More than limit items, less than limit items
More than limit items, more than limit items

Then add the variations with no new items, less than limit new items,
more than limit new items, all new items. There's a neat little
combinational explosion for you.

--
[ Juri Pakaste | address@hidden | http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]