Re: [Traverso-devel] Some confirmations for the manual

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Some confirmations for the manual
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:15:25 +0100

Hi,

Talked about these things in irc with Niklas, but for the record, some notes
here too:

> my idea: for having the greatest flexibility i can only think of something
> like insert channels that can be routed to an specific track or more
> tracks.
> so you can say my input channels 0-3 go to track 1 to record quadrophonic
> material and channels 4 and 5 go to seperate tracks. here is something
> we have
> to think about: do we really want to allow recording only to tracks?

The audiodevice knows only about channels. Channels are wrapped in Buses, so
if one wants the first 4 channels to wrap into bus 1, he/she can assign it to
a Track.
Recording is done with clips, _not_ with tracks, a track is just a placeholder
for clips :-)

> hrm... i just know such a facility from ableton, it shows the waveform
> in realtime and steadily zooms out of the recorded audio clip (fixed
> width of
> the visible area). ableton
> just allows recording to single clips at one time. which sucks for
> multitrack
> recording but just allowing recording of clips which are lateron pasted
> into the arrangement becomes pretty easy and straight forward (since that
> is the only way you can do it and it is very easy to handle from the
> user-perspective).

This approach certainly makes sense if you limit recordig to one clip only,
but for multitrack, it's ehm, hard at best to handle I think....

Of course, the issue of 'one can see what he records' remains, steadily
zooming sounds cool, the whole recording keeps visible all the time.....

Regards,