Re: [Traverso-devel] Some confirmations for the manual

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Some confirmations for the manual
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:26:42 +0100

Hi,

> My point is just that Traverso shouldn't do any format conversion if not
> explicitly requested. If jack or one of its clients converts 16 bit into 32
> bit, Traverso should of course accept the 32 bit format, regardless of the
> format of the source file, because it's the format that is delivered to
> Traverso.

Hmm, maybe there is some miscommunication here.
Audio applications only can work with audio when the data is normalized
between 0 and 1.
A value > 1 indicates clipping.
So all the audio data that's floating around in traverso are floats, jackd
audio data format is float, you don't want to get into the hell of using
integer audio data formats within an audio applications.
Ladspa plugins, dB conversion, it's all based on normalized float values.

As far as I know, jackd doesn't even have the ability to tell you the bit
depth used by the audio card!

Reading from audio files is transparent as well, whatever the format of the
file, the application requests libsndfile to read xxx amount of samples, and
return it in a float buffer.

Traverso used explicit integer bith depth for its audio buffers before, and it
was a nightmare, besides, simple connecting to jackd, dB conversions, and so
on were not possible, or hard at best :-)

The main and only point imho to save to 16 bit is saving lots of disk space,
when using the ALSA driver I would be able to let Traverso inform the user
the bit depth as used by the hardware, with jackd it's even not possible.

So a solution would be:
If alsa driver is used, get the bitdepth from the driver, and use that as the
saving format, unless the user explicitely requested else.
When using the jack driver, assume float format by default unless the user
explicitely requested else.
How about that ?

> It's actually quite common to record on one system, and mix on another one.
> I could for example record in Traverso, and find out later that for mixing
> I need Samplitude. (Shouldn't happen, but well... we're both realists...)

Well, I assume you pipe the recorded material from the original application to
another one, by using e.g. jackd.
You don't wanna import all the audiofiles by hand into another application,
right ? That's a waste of time!

> Try to.... suppress.... the.... overwelming desire.... AAAAARGHHH!!! I WANT
> ROUTING!!! NOW!!!!!
>
> :-D

*sigh*

> How about the following solution, which in fact combines your suggestion
> with mine:
>
> Keep the playback action <SPACE>
> Add a mode-switch action <K>
> Add a record action <CTRL SPACE>