Re: [Traverso-devel] Some confirmations for the manual

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Some confirmations for the manual
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:05:06 +0100

Am Montag, 12. Februar 2007 19:31 schrieb Jonatan Liljedahl:
> > Thats precisely the point I made lol.
> > So, if you don't have high end gear, and will only be capable of 16 bit
> > recordings, it indeed is a waste of hard disk space to save in 32 bit
> > float format.
>
> That's not entirely true... Almost all audio apps save and work
> internally with 32bit floats to keep the samples intact. The bit depth
> can be mangled by effects and transformations of different kinds, etc...

Hm, at least in Samplitude it is not even possible to record a format which is
not supported by the hardware. Converting the *raw data* to higher resolution
is indeed nothing but a waste of disk space. Or do you apply real time
effects to the incoming signal before writing to disk? That would be very
brave...

Regards,
Nic